Monday 27 January 2014

Miles of uncertainty

After being banged up the previous week, the latest stretch of training went quite well. Based on my workouts, I am inclined to believe that my fitness is continuing to advance despite hiccups here and there. Even with temperatures below -20 Celsius I was able to crank out a solid 9x3 minutes on Tuesday and a 40 minute tempo out on the Bayfront on Thursday. 

I must admit that I'm plagued with a bit of uncertainty regarding how I should proceed forward with training for the marathon. I've tried to consume a fair amount of literature on varied types of training, so it's not as if I don't have a sense of the general pieces (which often boils down to running lots of miles and spending significant time running at marathon pace). But specific components like how much faster running (i.e significantly below half marathon pace), if any, should be included and at what point during the build up these pieces should be included give me pause. 

I have written frankly about my doubts regarding my self-coaching decisions in the past, and I do so again because I prefer to be transparent about my limitations in this area and see this blog as a sort of record of progressive understanding (or so I hope!). 

At any rate, I am 16 weeks and 6 days out from taking my first shot at the ultimate distance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment