Tuesday 10 December 2013

Results and Analysis

I won't beat around the bush- here's what went down with my experiment: 

My 5th metatarsal on my left foot didn't worsen after I adjusted to landing more on my forefeet. In fact it started feeling quite a bit better as the week progressed. 

But...the 5th metatarsal on my right foot started to hurt in what I believe was a result of more forefoot running. I took a day off to be sure it didn't worsen, and once that initial concern was over with I was back in the game. I ran for 2 hours on Saturday feeling alright, though my left foot was again a bit sore more towards my 2nd and 3rd metatarsals, probably because my shoe was a bit loose during the run and allowed the metatarsal pad to shift. 

On Sunday I felt an intense pain in my left foot within the 10 minutes of running, and though I eventually found a suitable placement for the pad that allowed me to hobble home, the damage appeared to be done. 

So what did I learn? 

Well, despite the setbacks that did occur, none of what I experienced was a worsening of pain in my 5th metatarsal on my left foot. I proved that running through that issue isn't complete stupidity...BUT...I need to be careful how changing my foot strike can impact the rest of my body, especially my right foot (this really should be obvious I suppose). As for this new pain on my left foot, it's more localized in the 2nd and 3rd metatarsals as I mentioned...in fact closer to the original issue I was having with my foot back when it all started in 2010. 

This is a scheduled down week, so I can let this new problem resolve itself...I'm hoping it's nothing exciting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment