Monday 26 November 2012

Snapping out of it

My re-introduction to running this past week was more difficult than I expected. I was rationalizing with myself earlier in the week that it was the darkness that was discouraging me, but that is a pansy excuse if I'm being frank. I did however find that running some different routes as the week wore on seemed to help me shake off the mental hiccup that was making running a chore. This sport is supposed to be fun after all! 

I'm still a little daunted by starting up workouts though. Tomorrow I will attempt my first session since the taper leading up to CI's. It's also likely that my legs will feel as if they have a little bit of lead in them, since I started McMaster's Get Jacked core program today. Last year I found doing Get Jacked seemed to help my body prepare well for faster stuff on the track as it minimized some structural weaknesses, and it helps to have something different to do during a few days of the week. Since I don't have easy access to an indoor track where I'm living, I am forced to substitute the running portions with quick intervals on the treadmill as I am doing the program in my work gym, but that certainly beats doing the entire session outside in the cold.

I'm thinking I will likely race next at the Dome Super Saturday Meet #1 here in Ottawa on December 15th. The Lious Riel dome is quite a hike from my house, otherwise I'd consider training there, but I'll just have to make-do on workouts out in the snow (which has finally arrived) and see what sort of fitness it yields me. Following that, I'll aim to best my time from last year at the Boxing Day 10 Miler in the Hammer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment