Tuesday 17 July 2012

Miracles


I debated putting the blog on hiatus since I'm approaching exams and such, but figured a quick update wouldn't take too long. 

I tried an experiment last week that entailed doubling as long as my foot or IT band could handle it. This bright idea was conceived as I was faced with the prospect of having to get orthotics…I figured if I'm headed down that road anyhow, I really have nothing to lose at this point.

Surprisingly, my body handled it pretty well. Monday through Thursday were double days, as was Saturday, and my IT band held up just fine. To help out my foot, a metatarsal pad was placed on the left insole of my flats by Waterloo Sports Medicine on Wednesday to aid in preventing the beating my forefoot takes in them, but this only seemed to exacerbate the pain towards the outside of my foot, especially when I wore the flats for a workout Thursday evening. This carried over into Friday, even though I switched back into my Asics, and though Saturday morning I was feeling good, I regretted the evening run. Got a little too excited about the trails while I was home I guess. 

Sorry about the downer nature of this blog at the moment. As I've found out consistently over the years, there are no miracles in running, and apparently none for recovery either. I'm truthfully quite encouraged by the fact that I was able to get 5 solid days where I felt semi-normal again. I'll try to build on that as August approaches.

The Olympics start in the London soon, so why not watch Great Britain's greatest milers in the Los Angeles 1984 final?  Again, the better video doesn't allow imbedding, so here's the crappy American version:


The video I wanted to imbed is here

No comments:

Post a Comment