Saturday 19 May 2012

Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

After cracking 80 miles last week and getting my foot issues sorted out, I was optimistic that I was ready to approach the century mark comfortably for this first time in a number of months. My body had other plans, however, and the week did not start off well with my IT band tightening up during the long run through Columbia Forest. I was able to finish the run, but I had to resort to hobbling around the house for a few hours afterward. 

Committed to hitting 100, I headed out optimistically towards Wilmot Line Monday morning aiming for an hour, but lasted 10 minutes before the band tightened up so it would be wise to go no further. I hobbled back home, and spent the rest of the day being annoyed at how my body had betrayed me once again. Despite my morning failure, my IT band seemed to loosen throughout the day, so in the afternoon I ran a relatively flat route and was pleased that it held up. Naturally I assumed my injury troubles were over. 

That is still not the case, however. The rest of my week can be seen in the log below- I couldn't handle one run per day, never mind doubles. 

When the plan for the week had us doing 400s on the track Thursday, I was pretty excited. Cross country is still the best season in my book, but there's something about having a workout consist of singular laps around the track that fires me up. I was therefore very disappointed when during the warmup the pangs of tightness were evident, and so I shut myself down. 

I'm hoping this sorts itself out quickly enough so that I can get back on the track. Watching the Oxy High Performance Meet Friday night fired me up even more, evening if the pacing in most of the races left something to be desired.

Sorry for the short post. 

Sunday: ~11.5 miles 
Monday: 2 miles am + 8 miles PM
Tuesday: 5 miles am + workout PM
Wednesday: 8 miles PM
Thursday: 30 minutes biking AM + Workout attempt and failure PM 
Friday: 8 miles PM
Saturday: 75 minutes biking 

No comments:

Post a Comment